So I went out for a bike ride today just before sunset, and the first thing that I noticed was that the streets were strangely devoid of cars. Then I began to see massive numbers of people on the sidewalks and spilling into the streets. I stopped and asked some young guys standing on some concrete culvert pipes that might someday be used in a public works project what was going on.
"Congress Party, they stole the elections!"
"So everyone here is upset about this?"
"Yes, you should leave, it will be dangerous."
"Dangerous or interesting?"
"Interesting for you, maybe dangerous for us. Come stand here if you want a better view."
Since it didn't seem like much was going on, I stepped up onto the culverts. People asked me where I was from and checked out my bike, and told me that this happens every time there is an election. Some Navy guys were leaning over the barbed wire topped wall next to us. They told me I should go back to my hotel, but then they also wanted to talk to me, so I didn't take the warning as too urgent.
After a few minutes, the police cleared the way for some cars to come through and a few people started shouting. I decided that it was time to go when the young guy who told me that this happens every time turned to me and said, "You should go, soon we will throw rocks."
Friday, February 02, 2007
Soon we'll throw rocks
Posted by
zachary
at
8:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I hope you took his advice and left at that point.
Yeah, I have no desire have much doings with any angry mobs in India. Joby has that one covered.
Andy Goldsworthy would like that spiral. What is it made from? Mom
I took that picture on the Sudaghad trek. Some industrious villager had been peeling the bark off of poles in long strips, and these spirals were all over the ground. I think that the poles were for the elevated haystack platforms that were scattered about. I'm not sure what kind of wood it was.
Post a Comment