Monday, March 19, 2007

Solar eclipse



(picture links to a 1.6mb movie)

One rare occasions, the smog comes in useful.

As I was about done taking this a shoe shine man with no legs by the name of Sunil Kumar manualed his hand crank tricycle up to me, and inquired about my nationality, marital status, and lack of a rear brake.

5 comments:

Janna said...

Very beautiful across the water! How long did the eclipse actually last? Any comments in India about the Iraq war's 4th anniversary? A candlelight vigil will be held in Fall City - will interesting to see who turns out. Mom

zachary said...

The eclipse was visible for about 20 minutes after it lifted out of the thick enough to completely block it out haze.

It seems that with the world cup of cricket going on, nobody in India could be bothered to worry about anything else, so no mention of the war.

Janna said...

Is it common for Indians to ask all manner of personal questions of foreigners? Your bike is such an invitation for all kinds of folks to talk to you - and, of course, you have a certain innate approachability, too. I love your stories of random conversations..

zachary said...

I get talked to a lot. So do most westerners. 99 percent of the time a conversation begins with, "What is your country?" This being established, common topics of polite conversation with someone one meets on the street here often include religion, marital status and size of family, profession and salary, etc. When I have my bike with me, I always get asked about it, including how much it costs. The range of what is talked about is totally different.

I wonder how often I bring up something rather taboo without realizing it...

Janna said...

Interesting..especially given that all those "polite conversation" topics would be extremely unseemingly queries in the US. There is much to be kept hidden here!

Drove an Element this afternoon..and am thinking about getting it. With the back seat(s) flipped to the side, one can install some sort of mini bike rack on the floor to keep bikes from tipping..an inside the vehicle bike rack! Barbara Center told me she transports her alpacas in her Element. And Consumer Reports seems to like them.