Friday, May 04, 2007

On the road again

Last night I had a beer with Rachel and Nathan. Rachel I know from Santa Fe, and Nathan is her bike messenger boyfriend from Sarah Lawrence who is about eight months into his Watson Fellowship to explore bike culture in various cities around the world. Bombay is on the list, along with Shanghai, Tokyo, Sydney, Curtiba, and some other interesting spots. So now there are perhaps two fixies in India. Nathan commented that arriving in Bombay produced the most significant culture shock that he experienced since arriving in Shanghai from New York.

Rachel knew that I was here in Bombay, but hadn't been able to get in touch with me, since I stopped checking my email at UW very often because of the spam. So instead we just happened to bump into each other on the street. I guess I do kind of stand out in this crowd, and India is known to produce magic. Still, the two of them running into me while I've been in moderate recluse mode in a city of 15 million is some pretty potent juju.

But the really interesting thing that is going on right now is that I will soon begin my 36 hour long May the 5th, with a little bit of May the 6th thrown in in the middle just for good measure. This feat will be accomplished by flying to San Francisco, via Singapore. It's been since September that I've been here, and I'm ready for a break from India and some time to reengage with my life and my people in the US.

And I'm ready to see Jill again, who, as this picture undeniably proves, is seriously hot.


(photo by Jose)

2 comments:

jillita said...

Ah yes, flipping the flamingos. The amazing thing is that I wasn't even drinking.

Janna said...

Some people will do anything to get the most out of Cinco de Mayo!! Saludos!