Saturday, December 16, 2006

A few more pictures



The intricacies of Victorian architecture confront the deeper intricacies of tropical nature.



Agnes is using the office when I get an email with pictures of my little brothers. "Are all Americans in the newspaper?" she asks. Perhaps it is inflation, but I had to wait until I was 5. Alex on the other hand, before his 6th birthday, is appearing for the third time, in print and in color.



Quite a train station...



The cafeteria on the ground floor of Jagdish, my apartment building, is run by a guy named Rajan, so it gets the name McRajan's. They are open every evening, so if I miss the canteen's rice and dal, I can get puri (like sopapilla) or dosa or fried rice or soup. They also have chai.

Incidentally, McDonald's delivers in Mumbai. Just call 66 000 666.



During the monsoons, Mumbai has troubles with flooding. Sreekar's uncle last year walked home from his office after a particulaly wet day in water up to his armpits, carrying his phone and laptop over his head. It took him eight hours. A lot of the trouble is due to the proliferation of plastic bags that clog up drains. I picked up some kurta (a traditional type of shirt that can come as far as the knees or more) at a store near Regal Cinema this afternoon. They make their bags out of old newspapers, and block print the name of the store. There is also a cafe in the store where I had a good coffee, an okay bagel with olive tapenade, and a papaya and yogurt shake.



I like pictures of rust.



And trees taking over architecture.



This is from the roof of my building. Somebody did it on purpose.

No comments: